Concrete finishers/cement masons place, level and finish perishable concrete in various settings, including residential, commercial, industrial and institutional construction. They install overlayments and perform repairs to restore deteriorated surfaces, as well as install structural and machine base grouts.
- Place and finish concrete in construction walls & floors and curbs & sidewalks
- Perform dry finishing & remedial work
- Use power tools for chipping, grinding, cutting & abrading concrete surfaces
- Install control joints & catch-basins into curb extruded by machine
- Use machines to finish large factory and warehouse floors
- Place and texture surfaces, round edges and make joints to control cracking on sidewalks or floors
- Apply smooth or textured finishes, stamped or patterned designs to concrete
What You’ll Need
High School (recommended
prerequisites): Grade 12 (preferred),
English 10, Math 10 and Science 10.
3 years, includes 120 hours of technical training, 3,240 hours (minimum) of on-the-job training and exam. Journeyperson awarded after successful completion. As an apprentice, you also earn while you learn.
To potentially qualify for credit to reduce length of apprenticeship term: Completed courses or work experience related to the concrete finisher trade.
Key Skills & Attributes
(technical training and on the job)
- Reading, communication, numeracy & problem-solving
- Good physical fitness and stamina
- Ability to work with heavy materials for extended periods of time
- Ability to work outdoors & in diverse weather
- Hand-eye coordination
- Spatial perception & manual dexterity
- Ability to visualize a finished product