Plumbers, steamfitters and sprinkler fitters are all part of the Piping Trades. Each trade is unique and offers different career opportunities. They can work in residential, commercial, institutional and industrial construction, as well as in refineries, LNG facilities and shipyards.
- Plumbers study building plans and install underground, sanitary and water piping systems
- Steamfitters lay out, assemble, fabricate, maintain and repair piping systems
- Sprinkler fitters install all types of fire protection systems and install hangers and overhead piping in all types of buildings and all types of construction. Fire sprinklers are installed in high-rise buildings, warehouses, shopping centres, schools and hotels
What You’ll Need
High School (recommended prerequisites): Grade 12 preferred, English 12, Math or Algebra 11 & Physics 11, Science 11
Includes technical and on-the-job training, and exam. Journeyperson certificate awarded after successful completion. As an apprentice, you also earn while you learn.
Plumbers, Steamfitters and Sprinkler fitters can train at UA Local 170, UA Piping Industry College of BC, located on Annacis Island, Delta, or at UA Local 324, Camosun College in Victoria. The United Association is the largest supporter of Plumbing, Steam and Sprinkler apprentices in B.C.
Key Skills & Attributes
(technical training and on the job)
- Strong communication, reading, numeracy & problem-solving skills
- Physical fitness & ability to lift heavy pipes
- Manual dexterity & good balance
- Ability to understand blueprints & codes
- Ability to work outdoors in diverse weather
- Ability to get along well with co-workers