Drywall finishers tape and finish wallboard (drywall). They also apply, maintain and restore plaster and similar materials on interior and exterior walls, ceilings and building partitions to make them more decorative, soundproof and fire-rated.
- Apply assorted beads, reveal and shadow trims that transform ordinary walls into “Drywall Art”
- Mix and apply filling compounds, then sand them to create a smooth finish
- Use spray systems to apply and repair decorative, textured coatings to walls and ceilings
- Install mouldings and ornaments
- Use advanced taping and coatings
- Machinery such as Ames, Apla-Tec, Can-Am, etc.
What You’ll Need
High School (recommended prerequisites):
- Minimum Grade 10, Grade 12 preferred
Apprenticeship Program: 3 years of training, including 4,500 hours of practical training and 360 hours of in-class technical training and exam. Journeyperson certificate awarded after successful completion. As an apprentice, you also earn while you learn.
Key Skills & Attributes
(technical training and on the job)
- Strong communication, reading & writing skills
- Strong numeracy & problem solving skills
- Physical strength, stamina & ability to lift 25 kg
- Good eyesight
- Manual dexterity
- Ability to work alone or with a team